How to ombre dip dye:
1. First make sure your dress (or whatever garment you are dyeing) has been washed (without fabric softener). You can leave it damp after washing if preferred for easier initial dye absorption.
2. Fill your plastic bin with enough water to submerge your dress for the lightest dye color.
3. Mix your bottles of dye according to instructions and pour one bottle into the bin with water. Stir to mix.
4. With gloved hands, dip entire dress into bin and make sure it's fully submerged. Let set for a while to absorb the dye, then remove and gently squeeze out excess dye. Place on a plastic surface cover while you mix more dye into the bin.
5. Add another bottle or two of dye to the existing dye in plastic bin to make darker. Hold the dress upright and dip the bottom half into the darker dye mixture. Hang the top half of the dress over the side of the bin to keep from falling into the dye and let set for a while to absorb the darker dye color.
6. When the color has absorbed to your liking, remove the dress and repeat the process of adding more dye to the bin to darken.
7. Repeat dipping the bottom of dress into the darker dye, but only dipping a third of the way. Allow to set and absorb the dye until you are happy with it.
8. Repeat dye mixing/dipping process once more, dipping just the bottom portion of the dress into the bin.
9. Once you are happy with the result, you can do one of two things: you can hang the dress (over a plastic covered area to protect from the dye dripping and staining the ground) and allow the dress to set 6 to 8 hours or overnight; or you can carefully lay the dress on a plastic covered surface and cover it with the excess plastic cover, and allow to set 6 to 8 hours or overnight.
10. Wash in cold water on gentle cycle with a small amount of laundry soap and air dry.
11. Your ombre dip-dye dress is ready to impress!